Saturday, July 20, 2019

The Weekend Roundup - 'C'

The heat and humidity of July has made it to Southern New England, but being this day it is time for Tom's fun meme The Weekend Roundup. Here is my eclectic mix for the week.

Given the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing, I offer a look at the last person to walk on the moon in 1972 - astronaut Gene Cernan in 1966. When Dad worked at then United Aircraft, they built rocket engines (note the Pratt & Whitney Eagle logo on the motor). The boy is not me in this publicity photo:) The days of pioneers made of the right stuff seem to be fading 40+ years later...


Another view from 1966 is Grandpa at the impressive Garden of the Gods outside Colorado Springs, Colorado. I visited this park a couple of decades later and the balancing rock there is amazing! 

How about Contrails? Our patio in Ansonia sits under the flight path from JFK Airport in New York City. The large number of originating flights to Europe each evening fly overhead when the winds are favorable. Given its location, this big twin (777, A330 or 787) took off from Runway 4 Left at JFK. Despite the orientation of the pic, it is actually going up, not down (yes, I am being true to my Airhead self :)

2 comments:

  1. ...HOT is taking on a whole new meaning this summer! Ralph, a nice tie in for the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing. In 1960 I went to the Boy Scout Jamboree in Colorado Spring and went to the Garden of the Gods. Thanks for stopping by, stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Dad and Grandfather pictures, Ralph. And Contrails is a very good "C" word. When I left the Army I worked for Philco Ford as a Philco Tech Rep. I was in New Hampshire from 1961 to 1964, working as an engineer helping finish putting the New Boston Air Force Satellite Tracking Station on the air. We then had to make it work and train Air Force airmen to operate and maintain it. Then I moved to Houston to help with Simulation and Operational do Mission Control responsibilities.
    I was working as an Aerospace Engineer. We flew all the Gemini, Apollo, and Skylab missions.
    ..

    ReplyDelete

Shadow Shot Sunday - Jersey Shore Redux

The strong norther sun of Summer allows for interesting shadows in many places. For me, the New Jersey shore family vacations of decades pas...